Thursday, May 7, 2009

KINZI'S FIRST......

I wish I could say this was Kinzi's first sentence or maybe even her first loose tooth, but I'm afraid to say this is Kinzi's first FRACTURE. Yes you read that correctly. Monday night Kinzi fell playing at the playground and has not one but TWO bone fractures on her right leg. I felt soooo bad. She is obsessed with playing on the BIG kid toys at the playground. And I mean Big Kid toys. I've only ever seen 9-10 year old play on it. (well except for us, we let our 3 yr old play on it). I'm not even sure what it's called. It's this thing that you hang on and slide or glide across the bar to the other end. Once Kinz saw other kids doing it that's all she EVER wanted to do. Forget the slides or swings. She HAD to HANG on this bar and slide across it. Well, Todd and I gave in, Todd would stand at one end and I at the other. She has a DEATH GRIP so we knew she could hold herself up. (I mean, if she can't hold up a whooping 20 pounds then she's in trouble). We've been to the park numerous times and that's all she does. She had to have slid across that thing at least 50 times and she's NEVER let go. Well, except for Monday night. For some reason she decided to let go. After about 1 hour of crying non-stop and Todd and I feeling everywhere, we came to the conclusion that she must have just twisted her leg. She had NO swelling, bruising and no bones were sticking out. (that's always a GOOD sign, right) I thought we'd miraculously escaped going to the ER. Between the terrifying death drop and the possible bruising I thought she'd be okay within the next day or 2. Well to say the least I was dead WRONG. It was my babysitter after having had her for 1/2 hour call me at work to tell me she thought I should take her to the ER and get it x-rayed. She thought it might be more. So grudgingly I took her to the ER at Primary Children's. Mind you, we were JUST at Primary Children's not 4 days before that. Ye, that's right. Kinzi had to have the tubes in her ears taken out and replaced. One of them was infected and fluid was building up behind it so we had to get that fixed. And not to mention that last month Kinzi fell from one of the bar stools face first onto the kitchen floor. I thought for sure she had head trauma. And after throwing up numerous times we took her to the ER up at Primary's and had to have a CT scan and all the fun test. LUCKILY it was only a concussion, I thought for sure it was worse because she had no swelling or goose eggs on her forehead. So I was thinking it was another visit to the ER and hopefully they would notice the numerous visits within the last month. After 1 1/2 hours of waiting we finally got the x-ray done and I was SHOCKED. 2 bone fractures on the lower part of her right leg. I couldn't believe it. I felt AWFUL. I wasn't even going to take her in.
So needless to say I am NOT getting the mother of the year award. Unless they give one for the most CARELESS mother of the year. I would win hands down. So this is what Kinzi gets to wear for a week....





She's not quite understanding what is going on. She keeps trying to take it off. She has to wait until next Wednesday to get the cast put on. Then it will be around 3-4 weeks with the cast on. We are leaving next weekend for San Diego and the poor little girl has to have a cast on for her "first" vacation. I'm hoping she'll have the hang of walking around on it before we leave. It will not be much fun for her nor us having to hold her the whole time.

3 comments:

Chad, Shannon and the boys said...

Bobbi...you're being to hard on yourself. You're not a bad mom. You're a GREAT mom. These things happen and some kids are more accident prone than others. I'm sorry this had to happen right before your trip...what a mess. Well, you can't say Kinzi is not adventurous. I have pics of my boys on that same playground equipment that I'll be putting up when I get to Cade's birthday party. :-)

Mindy Widdowson said...

Geez Bobbi...that is quite a story. I am so sorry Kinzi had to deal with all of that. There is nothing worse than watching one of your kids in pain. I hope you guys had a great trip. I would love to see pictures.
Love,
Mind'

Sara_and_Curtis said...

Wow, Kinzi is quite the dare devil! I hope she is feeling better. I also think that you are a GREAT Mom, so don't worry so much! Accidents happen and there is nothing we can do to prevent them. Kinzi knows that you love her!!!!!